Monday, October 6, 2008

the values of a ride with my grandma and my baseball glove



Value Essay

the values of a ride with my grandma and my baseball glove




For me, value is created when I have known someone or something for a long time. I know that something is valuable when I think about it a lot in a good way or when I use it everyday of my life. A person becomes valuable when I love them because they are with me all of the time and we do things together. Both my grandma and my baseball glove mean so much to me. I have had both of them for fifteen years. I have known my Grandma ever since I was born in 1993 and I have had my baseball glove forever. They are both precious. I knew that I could write a lot about them.

I have had a baseball glove almost my whole life, ever since I was two years old. Every spring, I took my glove out after its long winter's nap from either its resting spot on my couch in my room or in my Dad's workroom in the basement. My ball was safely tucked into the pocket of my glove with a rubber band around it so that it kept its shape for the long winter until I would take it out for a fresh season. My glove brings back so many good memories, like playing baseball with my dad and older brother, Brian on the tennis courts on Boston playground in Arlington, MA. Not only was Boston playground a place for me and my Dad and brother to play baseball but it was also a place where I could play with my friends and have a great view of Boston. I enjoyed playing catch with my dad in the backyard which was good practice for when I made those grass staining diving catches in my baseball games.

The ride with my grandma from Toronto back to my cottage in Meaford, Ontario, Canada was a memorable one. Our car ride was full of Simon and Garfunkel and stories of World War Two. We listened to Simon and Garfunkel’s greatest hits about eight times in that ride. We would sing as much as we could and pretend to know the rest. My grandma sang in her high falsetto voice and I sang in my low baritone voice. If anyone saw us they would probably laugh but not us because we were having so much fun singing. She told me about how she would drive the Red Cross jeeps with injured men from the airport to the hospital. I can remember picturing what it would be like to live back then and do what my grandma did and hear all the war stories she must have heard from the wounded men.

Some similarities of my baseball glove and the car ride with my grandma are that they both mean a lot to me, and both of them bring back good memories. I especially appreciated talking to my grandma about what it was like to live way back in the mid 1900's and to be in the middle of a World War with all the pressure that a war must have put on her. I listened to Simon and Garfunkel sing A Bridge Over Troubled Water and I heard my grandma sing so quietly that I could barely hear her at first but as the song went on she slowly sang louder and louder and I just sat very quietly.

Some differences are that I will only have this experience with my grandma once, however, I will have my baseball glove forever. My baseball glove cost about $150.13 but I could never put a price on the car ride I spent with my grandma. I throw my baseball glove around and it gets covered in dirt and mud and all sorts of gross things. However, I would never even think about doing anything bad to that wonderful car ride I spent singing and laughing with my grandma.

Thinking back to the long hours I spent playing with my baseball glove, practicing pitching and getting ground balls I never regret a second I spent with that glove in my hand. Same with the car ride with my grandma, it was a very special two and a half hours I will remember for the rest of my life. was born and I have had my baseball glove forever. They both mean a lot to me. They are valuable! I knew that I could write a lot about them.

2 comments:

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

In Evan’s Introduction, the reader could tell what the essay was about right away. Sometimes though, he needed to take some sentences out that he repeated a lot. He should also use some questions to grab the reader attention more and so more people would be interested in reading it.

Evan could probably use more description in the moment he had with his grandma driving down to Canada. He could maybe explain what he had done in the car and he also needs to improve on run-on-sentences that comes across sometimes.

He did a good job on his essay, but his comparison wasn’t very clear. When I read it, I could tell how much his glove meant to him and how much he used it, but you couldn’t tell how the moment with his grandma and his glove were similar in comparison.

Other then these few mistakes, I think that Evan did a superior job on his value essay.


-JILLLL!